Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm in a weird situation, I need some advice about what to do about a de-facto roomie?

I have a friend that comes to my house everyday after work, and watches TV, eats, drinks stuff, etc. This would not usually be a problem, except that it is EVERY day. He has a key to my place (from a long time ago when he fed my cat while I was out of town.) He TIVO's the stuff that he wants to watch on tv, and then comes over to watch it when he gets off work (he doesn't have cable or satellite)


I have joked around about getting him to chip in on the bills, because he is here even if we are gone for hours, which means AC is on, water, electricity, etc.


I can't take away his key or change the locks, because my dad is sick, and I may need to have him come over if I have to go out of town in a hurry.


I don't really mind him being here, but what would be a fair amount to get him to chip in? I really don't want him to get mad, but I recently lost a portion of my income, so I really can't afford to pay anymore than what I absolutely have to. Any advice is welcome!I'm in a weird situation, I need some advice about what to do about a de-facto roomie?
Heck if he is over that much I would tell him outright, that its cool he helps with the cat and such, but since he is over every day using your stuff, I would tell him there is a charge on things. And that it is no laughing matter because your income isn't as fufilling as you would like it to be so some changes has to be made. Pretty say if he is using the water like 2 bucks for that. Food that is 5, tv that is 10 or 15 bucks and for feeding the cat his usual pay or whatever he gets for that.





But if you don't want to go through all that then you can just tell him you have found another friend that is willing to take care of your cat that pretty much doesn't treat your place like a open frat house or something. Really have to make the dude realize he is to be there only for the cat not for your tv or anything else. And better yet you can get your key back too and say that he can only use it for taking care of the cat when you aren't there. But any other time it stays with you til you leave.I'm in a weird situation, I need some advice about what to do about a de-facto roomie?
ummmm...I'm sorry, but what does your dad being sick have to do with you not being able to change the locks? It is called a locksmith and they can do it in 10 minutes and you can bring a new key to your dad...(or fedex it to him) You can even change the locks yourself buying a lock %26amp; a screwdriver from a home improvement store.

No comments:

Post a Comment